Tuesday, February 1, 2011

the ART of ARchiTecture

I have been a student of architecture for as long as I can remember. Wherever I travel to, I am constantly seeking out beautiful buildings and wonder at how they were conceived and constructed. Architecture is one of my favorite subjects to photograph and below are a few of my favorite forms I've captured on recent trips.
Cruising down 12th Ave in NYC, these gorgeous modern structures caught my eye!
I adore the ghost "frosting" on these etched windows and the "Mondrian~esque window layout.

These exquisite Spanish terra-cotta "confections" in San Diego's Balboa Park have always  inspired me,
One building is more beautiful than the next and they keep me coming back!

This fabulous facade belongs to the cathedral at Stanford College. While visiting with a friend last year,
I got the opportunity to admire the amazing mosaic tile work all gilded and glorious!

This past summer I visited both NYC and San Francisco in June, I took so many pictures that I lost track of where they all came from! I do remember purchasing a lovely Tom Ford lipstick at this department store ~ but thats all!

The lobby at the Sofitel Hotel in Lyon France had such a grand, yet warm and welcoming feel ~ there's my
baby checking us in, before we headed to Paul Bocuse for dinner that night!

I stopped at the Apple Store on 5th Ave in NYC  last summer while on the hunt for an iPAD in stock,
and was blown away by this amazing feat of glass and steel.  I had to wait maybe 15 minutes to get this shot
with no one on the stairs in this very busy store - but it was worth the wait!!

Coal Harbor in Vancouver, BC ~ I love the juxtaposition of these quaint little house boats up against the ever-growing skyscraper skyline of downtown Vancouver!

We are back at Balboa Park in San Diego (i love this place), and this is the sublime Botanical Garden's
building with its latticed dome and reflecting pond stocked with lotus blooms and koi!

This Frank Gehry designed Concert Hall in Los Angeles caught my eye and while waiting at the stoplight
at Grand,  I snapped this shot. One of the most acoustically sophisticated concert halls in the world!

The most glamorous hotel in all of Cannes ~ Always booked to the max during festival week, I dream of
having the corner suite one year and watching the ongoing on the Croisette from my balcony!

The painted ladies of San Francisco, I snapped these lovelies while waking down to Haight Ashbury for
some vintage hunting!