Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Little Lady Fauntleroy

I was at the bank yesterday and the lady next to me in line said "I like your outfit, it's like Little Lord Fauntleroy!" Well, I had heard of this book, but didn't know the plot or how my get-up related to it. But after just a few minutes of Googling ~ low and behold, there is a most definite influence of the little lord going on here! As it turns out, the The Fauntleroy suit, so well-described by Burnett and realized in Reginald Birch's detailed pen-and-ink drawings, created a fad for formal dress for American middle-class children of the late 1800's: "What the Earl saw was a graceful, childish figure in a black velvet suit, with a lace collar, and with lovelocks waving about the handsome, manly little face, whose eyes met his with a look of innocent good-fellowship." (Little Lord Fauntleroy So, if I may, I present to you my un-intentional Little Lord Fauntleroy suit!